Podcast Episode 12: The Oscars Are So Racist...Ok


I'm not exactly sure how I should feel as I see a few actors making fuss over the lack of "color" in this year's Oscar nominations. Part of me wants to understand were their agony and pain is coming from, but then I find that I'm incapable of actually understanding how they over look the fact that the most important voice of the celebrated night will be that of a Black man. But I guess Chris is just the token Black face for the cover up.

I'm sure there is a valid point to be made, but I just haven't heard it yet. I'm seriously and respectfully listening to hear it.

Since I make it to the movies very little these days, I ask what Black cast movies or actors gave an Oscar worthy performance? My real question is, is the anger coming because minorities (not just Blacks) have deliberately been shut out? And will Blacks step up to the plate and show how diversity should look at an award show by opening up typically Black awards shows, such as BET Awards, to the other ethnic groups in America like South Asians, Hispanics, Asians, Jews and so on. I wonder if Blacks are willing to diversify our celebrated events, or are we stuck on just giving a platform to people of color (meaning Blacks)? 

Since I won't be watching the Oscars, not because of a boycott, I guess I won't really know how many Blacks are in the audience. But maybe next year there will be a lot more Hispanics, Indians, Japanese and other people of color nominated...even if there are no Blacks receiving a nod for best actor.


Comments

Popular Posts