Is it time to say goodbye Part 3

Life comes and it goes.
We prepare for life to come, but are never fully prepared for it to leave.

This past weekend I had to travel to San Antonio for ministry. My intention was to hit the road about 1pm because I didn't want to be road weary on Sunday morning. But God pressed upon my heart that I needed to stop by the facility to see my Grand. I weighed the options, see her today or try to get back in town earlier enough to see her or make a visit on Monday afternoon. Since I don't control time, I decided that we would go by before hitting the road.

As my BFF and I visited with my Grand, my only maternal aunt and my Grands second son where there too, I kept thinking about the visit just the day before. Even in all of her frailty she was still bossy and feisty. On that day she wanted to eat her popsicle and drink water. Though her closed throat didn't make eaten or drinking easy, for some reason she really wanted a drink of water.

As the care taker tried to hold the cup so that my Grand could sip it, she insisted on holding the cup herself though too weak to do so. I sat on the edge of the seat laughing watching this little moment of my old Grand emerging. Even though she couldn't manage to align her mouth and the cup together, she kept saying, "I got it!" and "I can do it!" I laughed because that was the first time in weeks that she had said something so clear. Through her weakness the old her was still visible.

So as I stood looking at her Saturday, I couldn't help but ask once again where that little feisty woman from the day before was. Instead there was laying in the bed a skeleton of the strong "thick" woman who didn't take nothing off anyone. She looked very little like the woman I used to spend my childhood summers with.

After some time I walked over to her and gave her a goodbye kiss and told her I would be by in a day or so to see her. "Be good ok...try and eat something for them today, alright?" She nodded to say ok.

As we walked out of the room I said to myself that I was glad I didn't wait until I got back to make the visit...

Monday, my mum informed me that my Grand was being moved to the Woodlands. "My goodness!"
I thought, "Ok, I have a meeting in the morning at First Baptist. I wonder if I could swing to the Woodlands before or after. Nope, to tight...plus the office manager is out of town. That would be too many hours away from the office. I'll have to go first thing in the morning."

This afternoon I asked my mum if it would be ok if I went to see my Grand in the morning. She said sure, visitors were allowed at anytime.

A little after 1pm my mum called, "your grandmother just passed away." "ok"

I have to say, I'm so glad for Saturday...at least I got a chance to say goodbye.


Comments

PETER'S UPDATES said…
Praying for you and your family for God's strength,continue to fight the good fight of faith.
Anonymous said…
Thank God you had that chance to see as she was remembering her healthier days. Know that God has her in his everlasting arms and she is resting in him!
Mel A. P. said…
Thank you both so much! Deeply appreciate your kind thoughts.

Popular Posts